Tuesday, October 5, 2010

the Denman Island Graffiti Fence



I took a nice panorama shot of the Graffiti Fence today when I went to check my mail. This is right across the street from my mail box. The Graffiti Fence is a Denman Island phenomena that I so treasure. It is a space where anyone can express themselves; their ideas, views, visions, promote an event, post a community notice, commemorate a birthday/wedding/death... anything goes! There seems to be an unspoken etiquette about sharing the space, when something has been on the fence for a while you paint over it or, you alter it for your own creation. I'm not sure how long this has been an Island landmark, I've been here 15 years now and I get the feeling this fence outdates my arrival by many years. I believe it was originally built by the local volunteer fire dept. for safety reasons, as behind the fence there is a steep cliff that drops straight down into an old limestone quarry.
Long live the Graffiti fence!








No comments:

Post a Comment